Saturday, April 12, 2008

The early spring of 2008

The day was here. The doctors had given you enough time or so they thought. They were ready to force you out. I relished the kicks and movements with the knowledge that I would miss them. I willed and waited for you to make the first move. Alas that was not to be.
En route to the hospital I swear I could see the first shoots of spring on the trees that line the center divider of the streets. Trees that were bare and brown had the faintest sign of green all across. Some a little more obvious than others. Some shy of their blossoming youth and changing image. I wondered if you were the shy kind as well. I always wanted you to decide when you were ready to take on this world. Now that I know you a little better (or do I) I think you were just content. You were living in the moment. You liked where you were and wanted to savour it a tad more. I think you like to enjoy the finer things in life; a little like your father. You do not have the 'hurricane' gene in you. You might be the kinds who needs a little push. Nevertheless, once you had that initial push and the stars all lined up, you excelled. You and me together we made it happen.
The fact that you had a bunch of hair on your head was a shocker I will admit! Going by the old wives tale about hair and heartburn I had pretty much decided that you would be born bald. My mom's stories of me and my brother being born bald added to the myth. Bah! How could I think you would take after me? Everyone and I mean everyone even on my side of the family agrees that you look so much like your father. I don't say that with any bitterness mind you. I think your father is a good looking man so you got lucky there! ;-) In fact within a couple of hours of your birth I was the first to tell your dad that. I said "I think he looks like you"! The pride on his face and in his voice is a Kodak moment (albeit with audio) in my head as he responded with "Yeah?" It amazes me; the power you have to bring forth something that strong and primal.

On the way back home with you I noticed the trees again. They seemed to be just a little more green. Like they were welcoming you into this world. One more spring baby. Officially spring started the weekend after you were born. But to me, the spring of 2008 will always be on the day I noticed the little green leaves trying to make their way into this world. The day I knew that you would come into our lives and change it forever. And even then I knew, that once you were here it would be as though life was always this way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post.

REALLY, no bitterness that the baby looks like the dad?

Hmmm, that is something I can never do. Just couldn't stand people mentioning that.

Now that the girls have started looking more like me, it feels sooooo good :)

So is this going to be a mommy blog or a medley?

Unknown said...

Thats a real good poetical melodramatic way to say how your song has springed in to your life and made your days so wonderful.Keep going....The initial days you spend with your kid are the most preciuos moments in a womens life

Hurricane C said...

utbt,

Thank you. So it is true then that their faces change huh? I always thought that when people said that to me(preceded by he looks like dad) it was to make me feel better :-)
Mommy blog/medley - I think it will take me a while to figure that one out.

Hurricane C said...

Meera,

You are so right. I am loving the days now when I have all the time in the world to spend with my son!